CHERNOBOG'S LAIR.com

Saturday, February 12, 2011

A NIGHT @ THE RAIL CLUB, Ft.Worth, TX, 2/11/2011

Last night I went to The Rail Club in Ft. Worth, TX to see my favorite local band URIZEN! This will be my third time seeing them, the first was at Dallas' All-Con and then back in December at Ft. Worth's Ridglea Theater. I truly believe they are one of the few, original Texas local bands who aren't trying to emulate some other Texas bands like Pantera or Drowning Pool. URIZEN is a highly creative, theatrical and original band incorporating the music styling of electronic-influenced avant-garde Heavy Metal. I'd never been to the Rail Club, but I found it a pretty decent club. It has 2 bars, pool tables and darts on the second level balcony. The only disadvantage I could see was the stage was set up in the middle of the club in front of a small dance floor and DJ whereas the tables were set up on either side.


The show was scheduled to start at 8pm but the first band SILVERTONGUEDEVIL didn't get started until about 9:30. They weren't bad, reminded me of Slayer, although a little cliche. The guitarist was pretty good but the vocalist seemed to be trying too hard, he had Judas Priest style studded gloves and wore a pirate skull-like bandanna. They played a pretty good set especially when they did an impressive cover of "Tyrant" by Immortal for Black-Metal Month, during which the vocalist brandished this goth-like metal spear?!

URIZEN
 Next up was URIZEN, and they opened with "A Noiseless Flash", the first track from their Universe album featuring the keyboardists mutant "brother" Danuato playing his keyboard solo, always a fun opening act. They also performed "It Begins to Rain", "A New Revelation", "A Budding Consciousness". In following with the trend Silvertonguedevil started with Black-Metal Month Urizen performed a cover of "Christ Crusher" by Thy Serpent, although I consider myself a big Black Metal fan, I admit I was unfamiliar with this one. Urizen also played their newest single "Boxmen" and then came their epic finale with "The Horror" while Urizen's famous Robot fought a one-eyed blob monster. Recently Urizen has also included with their phenomenal stage show a Spaceman character who shoots smoke rings with an elaborate arm-gun. I believe their set was cut somewhat short by the venue but I believe they had a decent reaction with the crowd. I unfortunately found myself  to be the only fan out on the floor wearing my Urizen Tshirt while most of the attendees merely sat around. This may have not been the best venue for Urizen but I think they put on a great show as always. I look forward to following their career as it prospers.

SEDATED
 Next up was SEDATED, a Ramones Tribute Band. The band members actually looked very much like The Ramones, complete with wigs, leather jackets and similar instruments. They played all the classic Ramones hits like "Blitzkrieg Bop", "Teenage Lobotomy", "Beat on the Brat", "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker", "Cretin Hop", "Pinhead", "Rockaway Beach", then finished with "Bonzo Goes To Bitburg" and of course "I Wanna Be Sedated". For the most part Sedated, I think, got the biggest reaction from the crowd and seemed to have a pretty big following. I was thoroughly impressed with their imitation.


Finally, SIK took the stage they had a Pantera/Godsmack style , although they had a surprisingly short set their guitarist had an impressive set-up. Overall, I had a pretty good time, the bar thankfully served Ziegen-Bock one of my favorite local beers, so I was "happy", lol! Too bad, no one could join me but it was a pretty good night!
Later Metalheads!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a cool club. Where else can you play pool and listen to live metal? NOWHERE! I'm gonna have to tag along with one of these days and check these guys out.

    ReplyDelete

Have any comments? Please post them.