CHERNOBOG'S LAIR.com

Monday, March 21, 2011

2011 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame: ALICE COOPER

Last night I watched the 26th Annual 2011 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on FUSE. The ONLY artist I was interested in seeing was of course the one and only ALICE COOPER! After 40 years, Alice Cooper is finally inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to which to many in the music industry have a love/hate relationship with (i.e. Eddie Trunk) I'm always elated (and sometimes confused, i.e. Michael Jackson, Madonna) at some of the artists chosen to be inducted in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame from classic artists such as The Beatles, The Doors, and Jimi Hendrix and even some of my favorite classic hard rock artists such as AC/DC, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, and Queen to even more modern favorites such as Van Halen and especially METALLICA, who were inducted in 2009.
I realize there are hundreds of Rock & Roll bands out there, some of which have been around for over 40 years that haven't even been inducted. I believe it was definitely way over due for Alice Cooper to be inducted and who could've been more perfect to present him than none other than Rob Zombie, who regards Alice Cooper as one of his major influences as a "rock & roll villain". 
For those who don't know Alice Cooper (the band ) started in the late 1960's originally as a 5-piece band who were discovered by legendary record producer Frank Zappa. Throughout the late '60's and '70's Alice Cooper terrorized the charts (and parents) with songs like "No More Mr. Nice Guy", "School's Out", "Under My Wheels", and "The Ballad of Dwight Frye" just to name a few. In 1975 the original band broke up and singer Alice Cooper (a.k.a. Vincent Furnier) released his first solo album Welcome To My Nightmare. Since then Alice Cooper has survived as the original shock-rock band; before KISS, Ozzy Osbourne, and even Marylin Manson. Alice Cooper has been known for his elaborate and amazing stage shows incorporating bizarre costumes, blood, snakes, and guillotines!
Along with their presentation Alice Cooper performed "I'm Eighteen" with the surviving members of the original Alice Cooper band (Glen Buxton died in 1997) and also "School's Out" along with Rob Zombie and a choir of creepy-clad children. This year's Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Inductees also included Neil Diamond and Tom Waits.
*Favorite Alice Cooper albums: "Killer", "Welcome To My Nightmare", "Trash", "The Last Temptation", "Brutal Planet"


I got lost on the road somewhere
Was it Texas or was it Canada
Drinking whiskey in the morning light
I work the stage all night long
At first we laughed about it
My long haired drunken friends
Proposed a toast to Jimmy's ghost
I never dreamed that I would wind up on the losing end
I'm stuck here on the inside looking out
I'm just another case
Where's my makeup, where's my face, on the inside...
- "From The Inside", Alice Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any comments? Please post them.