CHERNOBOG'S LAIR.com

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

MOVIE REVIEW: "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen"

    "More than meets the eye"...Literally! I can't tell you how much I was looking forward to seeing this movie. As a kid who grew up in Transformers heyday. And being there in theaters when the Transformers animated movie first came out way back in 1987. And as an adult 20 years later to finally see Transformers come to life in Michael Bay's 2007 blockbuster, it should have been a fanboys dream come true. The 2007 movie was cool, great and a lot of fun (even though Shia LeBouf is so freakin' annoying at times.) Being a huge special effects movie, which it had to be in order to pull off realistic looking robots.
 As successful as it was, a sequal was inevitable, although I don't think any of us were expecting it so soon...I admit that this movie was a special effects nightmare with more explosions, more robots and an even more convoluded story which leaves you breathless and confused at the end, with only the image of a newly enhanced (in more ways than one!) Megan Fox! This is "The Phantom Menace" of Transformers movies and its not even the fourth installment which will most likely be a trilogy. (Look for "Transformers 3: The Search for a Plot" Coming Summer 2011, LOL!) And when I compare Episode I to Transformers 2, I'm not kidding, they even have their own robotic equivallent to Jar Jar, and whats worse: they have 2 of them!! (i.e. Skids and Mudflap)
 I applaud the fact that the story is able to successfully pick up right where we left off 2 years ago, but we don't seem to have improved things any. Sam (Shia LeBouf) is still awkward and annoying, Megan Fox is still a hottie and there is absolutely no reason why she is still with him! Plus, there are even more Transformers like Arcee, Jetfire, Soundwave and the Constructicons...(YAY! More Toys! Sorry, that was my inner 6 year old talking) both good (Autobots) and bad (Decepticons, yeah like you didn't know.) But when is too many, TOO MANY!? If you remember there were hundreds of Transformer robots back in the day and with the resurgence of the franchise thanks to the film, I think the filmmakers are trying to put ALL of them in the movies, no matter how small (i.e. Wheelie) or how BIG
(i.e. Devastator!)
 The whole movie is an intense, action packed, thrill ride filled with all the robots and destruction you can handle but while your lost in the mind-numbing, eye bleeding visuals, take a moment and reassess just exactly what the f*** is going on! I didn't the first time either but after leaving the theater, with the THX sound still ringing in my ears and my eyes still straining to see clearly (should I mention I went IMAX, oy!) I said, hey, wait a minute, what did I just see??? (My head hurts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any comments? Please post them.