CHERNOBOG'S LAIR.com

Friday, May 21, 2010

30th Anniversary of "The Empire Strikes Back"

On May 21, 1980, the most anticipated sequel to THE greatest Sci-Fi epic was released: "Star Wars: Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back"! Considered by most Star Wars fans to be the best episode in the Original Trilogy, Episode V remains one of the darkest and most revealing in all of the trilogy. When the first Star Wars movie was released in May 1977, no one, not even its creator George Lucas could imagine the impact on popular culture as well as the influence on modern filmmaking the Star Wars franchise made. If you have never seen the original trilogy and even if you have only seen the more recent prequel trilogy you are completely missing out. On a personal level Star Wars has made a significant impact on my life since I was very young. I admit truthfully that I was born 2 years after the original movie was released and too young to even enjoy the initial release of Episode V. However I was able to enjoy the earlier films on the newly emerging video market, and I thank my Dad who was working in the electronics industry who allowed me to see those movies in the comfort of our own home. Already a fan by the age of 3, I had amassed a collection of Vintage Star Wars Toys that would make the modern collector weep. I still have many of my original toys also. One of my first Star Wars memories is getting to see Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi in the theaters when I was about 4 and even at a one of the now extinct drive-ins. Ever since then I have been and always shall be a Star Wars fan. I would spend my childhood playing, acting out, wearing costumes, spending countless hours watching the videos. I am not as obsessive a fan (although I'd like to be!) No matter how much Star Wars stuff I have or how much I quote it on a day-to-day basis, BUT I am not a member of the 501st Legion, I do not own Stormtrooper armor or a Jedi costume, I don't even own one of those fancy lightsaber toys. I am very much a purist Star Wars fan. I have many issues with the re-released "Special Editions" from 1997 (i.e. Greedo shoots first!) as well as the 1999 release of the first prequel "Episode I: The Phantom Menace" (Don't even get me started) but that is not what this blog entry is about... It is hard to imagine it's been 30 years since the Empire Struck Back and even longer since the original Star Wars, I hope to post here in the next 3 years for the 30 year anniversary of "Return of the Jedi" which in my heart is still my favorite. I hope fellow fans are reading this and share my love of Star Wars! So to put it simply: Happy 30th Anniversary "Empire Strikes Back" and "May The Force Be With You"! Also be sure to check out Star Wars Weekends at Disney World this month, it is quite an event for any Star Wars fan young and old alike!
 See
Star Wars.com for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any comments? Please post them.